Davlin vs. Strom

A weekly look at where Springfield’s two leading mayoral candidates stand — or don’t stand — on the issues

Mayor Time Davlin
Mayor Time Davlin
Untitled Document On the Iraq War . . . The Springfield City Council last week rejected, in a 6-3 vote, a measure calling for the immediate withdrawal of U.S. military forces from Iraq. The sponsor, Ward 2 Ald. Frank McNeil, pointed out that a majority of Springfield voters supported a similar measure in November. Attempts by Ward 10 Ald. Bruce Strom, who is running for mayor, to push through a resolution supporting the troops also failed. Before the vote, Strom and Mayor Tim Davlin discussed the war and McNeil’s measure with Illinois Times.

Strom: “We don’t know enough about military strategy to know what should be done at this point and what is safe for the people who are over there in uniform, and I would be concerned that we would somehow support something that may jeopardize our military forces. However, I think there is growing sentiment in our community that a plan or a strategy for getting out of Iraq is probably appropriate. Though it’s one thing to say that we ought to get out of there right away, it’s another to say that we should begin to develop a strategy for withdrawal. Maybe we should make special tribute to our armed forces over there — maybe that should be part of the ordinance. We’ve lost 3,000 lives over there and I don’t think we know how many people have been wounded and maimed permanently injured fighting a war that started on the misbelief that there were weapons of mass destruction on site. We got ourselves involved in a very volatile situation, and it’s very dangerous for our troops serving to provide a more secure life for us in this country.”

Davlin: “If you take the politics out of it, 95 percent of our votes would be all the same. The other 5 percent of the time, those are philosophical questions like smoking, pay-at-the-pump, leaf burning. Those are the kinds of things [in which] I don’t have a dog in that fight. I’m a big business with 1,700 employees. For me, there’s no reason for me to be in the middle of any controversy like [the Iraq War]. I’ve got enough concerns running police, fire, public works, libraries, doing economic development. Like I said, 5 percent of the things are philosophical, so let the aldermen decide. That’s a philosophical political thing, and, for me, I’m sitting in a nonpartisan seat. I’ve got too many other issues to be concerned about on a day-to-day basis.”

Citizens decide elections. For this reason, from now until Election Day we will let candidates explain in their own words where they stand the on issues that matter to you. Let us know your issues. Contact R.L. Nave at rnave@illinoistimes.com.

Comments (0)

Add a comment

Add a Comment