- 3 lbs. onions, NOT super-sweet, chopped
- 6 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 T. sherry vinegar, preferred, or other wine vinegar
- 6 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grated aged cheese such as parmesan or an aged Spanish cheese, such as an aged Manchego, and chopped chives or chive blossoms for garnish, optional
This all-onion tortilla is especially succulent.
Heat 6 T. of the olive oil in a very large skillet over medium heat, add the onions, thyme and vinegar, and stir to combine them with the oil. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt. Cover the pan, and let the onions sweat until they are translucent, 10 –15 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook until the onions are golden and meltingly soft, about an hour.
Uncover the onions, raise the heat slightly, and continue to cook until any liquid in the skillet has evaporated, about another 15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the onions cool completely.