Who doesn’t love granola? This version fits the season, with its use of orange and cranberries. As with the scone mix, florists’ cellophane bags make ideal gift-giving containers for it.
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil, such as canola
- 1/2 c. honey
- The zest from 2 large oranges
- 4 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 c. raw wheat germ
- 1 c. raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c. raw sesame seed
- 2 c. chopped walnuts, or other nuts such as pecans, hazelnuts, or a mixture of nuts
- 1 1/2 c. dried cranberries
Preheat the oven to 325. In a saucepan, heat the oil, honey and orange zest until just beginning to show a few bubbles. Meanwhile combine the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the dried cranberries on a large sheet pan, mixing to combine. Drizzle the honey/oil mixture over the dried ingredients and stir with a spoon until well mixed.
Spread the mixture evenly in a large rimmed baking sheet, place in the oven and toast, stirring frequently, for about 30-40 minutes or until browned to your taste. Allow to cool completely, then stir in the cranberries. Makes about 12 cups.