The idea of pairing sweet watermelon and salty/sharp feta might seem unlikely. But the two compliment each other perfectly, as Greeks have known for ages.
- 1c. thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tsp. salt, preferably kosher or sea
- 4 c. chilled watermelon, seeds removed if present, cut into one-inch cubes
- 1 c. (approximately 4 oz.) feta, cut into one-inch cubes
- 1 - 2 tsp. sherry, balsamic, or raspberry vinegar, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Mint sprigs and/or sliced leaves for garnish
the sliced onions in a colander, toss with the salt, and let drain for
20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water, drain, then
squeeze dry in a lint-free towel.
Place the onions, watermelon and feta in a serving bowl. Mix gently, sprinkling in the vinegar and pepper, and breaking up the feta as little as possible.
Taste for seasoning, adding a little more vinegar or pepper if needed.
Garnish with the mint sprigs and/or leaves and serve. May be refrigerated an hour or so before serving, but if serving it later than that, prep the ingredients ahead separately, then combine them just before serving. Serves 4-6.