Many macaroni salads are bland and boring. Not this one, which gets its kick from the jalapeno mayonnaise. Don’t hesitate to make this if you don’t like spicy heat. Just use mild or medium pickled jalapenos, which are widely available. Even the regular ones only make this slightly hot; the mild/medium variety just add flavor, not heat. If you’re concerned about using raw eggs, use the bottled mayonnaise variation below.
- 1 lb. macaroni or other bite-sized pasta shape
- 1 c. very thinly sliced scallions both white and green parts
- 1 c. very finely chopped red, yellow, or orange bell pepper or a combination
- 4-6 hard-boiled eggs, 1 sliced for garnish and the rest chopped
- Jalapeño Mayonnaise (see below)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Optional: 1 lb. cooked shrimp (halved if large) or crawfish
Blend or process for about two minutes or until the scallions and peppers are thoroughly pureéd. With the machine still running, add the oil in a very thin stream. Store in the refrigerator. Makes about 2 c.
To make jalapeño mayonnaise using bottled mayonnaise: to 1 degrees c. mayonnaise (preferably Hellman’s) add the minced jalapenos and pickling liquid, scallions (finely minced) and sugar as above. Refrigerate for at least an hour before using to allow the flavors to combine.