- 3 c. seeded, peeled cucumbers, either English (a.k.a. burpless) or thin regular cucumbers, quartered and cut into approximately
- 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 c. finely minced celery
- 1/4 c. finely minced red onion
- 1 T. kosher or sea salt, plus additional if necessary
- 3 c. buttermilk
- 1 c. sour cream or Greek style yogurt
- 2-3 T. Sweet Sour Syrup, recipe follows
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce, optional
- 1 lb. cooked salad shrimp or other small shrimp, cut into half inch pieces if necessary (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 1/2 c. snipped fresh dill fronds (NOT packed), plus additional for garnish
Put the cucumbers, celery and red onion in a colander and toss thoroughly with the salt. Put the colander in or over a sink and let the vegetables drain for 30 minutes.
Rinse the vegetables well under cold running water, then spread them evenly over a lint-free towel, roll the towel up and squeeze to remove as much excess moisture as possible. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk and sour cream or yogurt until completely combined. Stir in 2 T. of the Sweet Sour Syrup, pepper, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire and Tabasco, if using.
Add the vegetables, shrimp and dill fronds and stir to combine. Check the seasoning. You may want to add another tablespoon of the Sweet Sour Syrup, Tabasco, and/or additional salt and pepper.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors mingle. Serve cold, garnished with the additional snipped dill fronds. Serves 6-8.